These videos are not only instructional but inspirational in showing how math relates to our lives. Videos marked with (P) were math performances created by OISE teacher candidates. Many of these have been recognized by the mathematics community from Mathfest.ca.
Number Sense & Numeration
- Nature by Numbers - A movie inspired on numbers, geometry and nature, by Cristóbal Vila.
- The Quality of Numbers (P) - A poetic way to show how numbers are related to our lives.
- Smith Numbers - Numberphile - Is your phone number a Smith number? Great for intermediate math!
- The Number 2013 - Fun facts about the number 2013...with credits to Vi Hart, Numberphile, Wired, National Post and The Math Forum for inspiration and information!
- Phantoms of the Rounding (P) - A classic cover that demonstrates how to round numbers.
- Common Factors of 3, 4 & 5 (P) - A blues way of describing common factors.
- Adding with the Abacus - Ethan demonstrates how to add using the abacus.
- Add Them Maybe (P) - A fun cover to show the addition of numbers and other number properties.
- Napier's Bones - Simaya demonstrates how to multiply using Napier's Bones Method.
- Two Digit Multiplication - Explains and demonstrates the Lattice method of multiplication. Also explains how place value fits into this method.
- Two & Three Digit Multiplication - Explains and demonstrates the Vedic method of multiplication.
- Multiplication of Integers - Why a Negative Times a Negative is a Positive.
- Egyption Maths - Michael S. Schneider explains how the Ancient Egyptians (and Chinese) and modern computers multiply and divide.
- Egyption Maths - Part 2 - Egyptian Maths part 2 - looking at decimals and fractions.
- Secret Trick: Math Division Long - Find hard to divide numbers. In 3 mins master long division with 9 . Easy multiplication division trick ... divide fraction
- Problems with Zero - Numberphile - Dividing by zero, zero divided by zero and zero to the power of zero - all pose problems!